[Last-Call] Re: Last Call: BCP 83 PR-Action for Timothy Mcsweeney

  Hello,

On 6/11/24 11:52 AM, John C Klensin wrote:
And, btw, I think we need to be very careful about proposals for
blanket bans as well.  We have several examples in the history of the
IETF of people who have regularly been unprofessional, obnoxious, and
disruptive but who have still made important technical contributions,
maybe ones that no one else could have made.  I think it is entirely
appropriate to leave the decision of whether the advantages of the
latter outweigh the disadvantages of having to put up with the former
up to each WG and its leadership.  We might tune things to let WGs
opt out of a ban rather than requiring them to opt in, but let's not
eliminate the option.

  Yes, blanket bans are a bad idea. I have a PR action against me that
is still in effect (in spite of my requests to have it lifted) on
4 IETF lists. Ironically I had not posted on one of them for over a
year and the 3 others for the 9 months preceding the PR Action against
me-- didn't someone say the IETF is very slow in acting :-) And in spite
of Lars' efforts to widen my ban (by emailing the IRTF chair and saying,
in effect, "it's an IETF-only action but feel free to ban him if you
want") the ban is on just those 4 (non-technical) lists.

  And that's a good thing because I have 2 I-Ds that are WG documents
that I am actively working on and a blanket ban would've hindered that
work. Nobody is complaining about me on IPsec or EMU or whatever other
technical list I'm on. A blanket ban would also prevent me from
contributing as a reviewer in the Security Area Directorate which I
have been doing for decades without complaint.

  So let's rein this in a bit. No blanket bans. I don't know Tim
McSweeney from Adam and my opinion on this last-call is pretty
worthless given my current standing but unless there is a problem
on a list, people should not be banned.

  regards,

  Dan.

--
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to
escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius