Re: Postorius / Mailman 3 accounts

On 6/5/24 22:12, Joel Halpern wrote:

I think you are overgeneralizing in several regards.

If you only need your passwords on one machine, use a local password manager (and back up the encrypted file).

If you need to have your passwords accessible on multiple machines, you are going to have to do something more complicated.  Whether that is using a distribution mechanism, using cloud storage, or some other choice I haven't thought of is up to you (I do not pretend to be a security expert).

However, it seems that in all of those cases, ueing several different products can only reduce your safety, as it creates more exposure as far as I can tell.

I seem to recall several incidents in which password managers have been compromised.   So I think it's hard to make a responsible statement in favor of password managers in general.

Of course, every user's threat situation is potentially different and requires a separate analysis.   But having "all of your eggs in one basket" doesn't seem like good general purpose advice.

Keith