Re: WG Action: Formed Mail Maintenance (mailmaint) / Commitment

Murray,

On 5/30/2024 10:49 PM, Murray S. Kucherawy wrote:
On Mon, May 27, 2024 at 7:34 PM Dave Crocker <dhc@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Again, the charter imposes a barrier that is without precedent in the IETF, given it's blanket, a priori assertion for all work done through this wg.  It is striking that there seems to be so little awareness of the difference between this and any kind of established IETF practice, or how nuanced downsides of organizational change typically are.

I'm still ignorant, apparently, to how an organization-wide change has been imposed by a constraint in a charter in a single working group in a particular corner of the IETF.

The charter imposed constraints that are, I believe, without precedence.  As I've noted a couple of times:

"Prior to accepting any Standards Track document for development, there must
be a commitment to implement the resulting proposed standard" is a massively higher bar than the IETF has ever asserted.

Setting a new, severe constraint is setting a new, severe IETF policy. That's why I said organization-wide.  And I'll note that there was nothing in the discussion leading up to the charter and nothing in the charter, and no serious discussion since that explains and justifies this dramatic raising of the bar, not any basis for claiming rough consensus in support of it.

It is interesting that responses to this concern have been to cite the very different generic requirement for implementation prior to Proposed.  No requirement for anyone to step up before the spec work starts. For that matter, no one required to make any public statement even later. They show up an say they are building or have build an implementation; or they don't. So the responses have not been relevant to the current constraint.  And when this difference between established practice and the new constraint has been pointed out, there has been no meaningful response.

It is also interesting that there were exceptions taken to my commenting that 'organizations' don't make commitments like this, before any work is done (and usually not even later), where comments have said the charter constraint doesn't impose a requirement on organizations.  This is a theory vs. practice failure.  It carries the IETF cultural point about individual participation far beyond its practical reality. Yes, there have been individuals, acting on their own, who choose to do implementations.  But I believe the vast majority of such work -- as with the vast majority of IETF participation -- is done by representatives or organizations, sponsored by those organizations and doing implementations for those organizations.

Moreover, charters are supposed to set constraints, establish operating rules and requirements, etc.

When there has been an extended exchange and someone feels the need to reassert s first principle, in spite of the fact that the principle was not challenged directly, or by implication, or by intent, my experience is that serious discussion has ended, if it ever took place.

So here's another first principle:  Charters are expected to set reasonable constraints that are apt.

And I disagree that there's little awareness of the difference, but I'm not understanding why it's so urgent or destructive.

I don't understand the reference to 'urgent'.  As for destructive, it is a constraint that requires organizations to do something they don't do.  It is, therefore, a severe disincentive to bring work to the IETF.

To the extent that you believe there is awareness of the difference between this new constraint and established IETF policies and practices, I'll apologize for not having seen it.  As noted, what I've seen has implied a failure to discern that difference. So perhaps you can point to such awareness being demonstrated?

That is, after 10 months, only if there have been a series of successful efforts will it be possible to make a valid statement about the wg and its charter.

Or, I suppose, there might be documentation of problems.  But since basic concerns are being ignored now, what will cause them to have more useful effect later?

Given the length of this thread, why do you think they're being ignored?  It seems to be getting plenty of discussion.

Lots of responses is not the same as serious engagement with the substance.  This hasn't had that.  I've note some examples, above.

d/

--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking