Re: WG Action: Formed Mail Maintenance (mailmaint) / Commitment

On Mon, May 27, 2024 at 7:34 PM Dave Crocker <dhc@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Again, the charter imposes a barrier that is without precedent in the IETF, given it's blanket, a priori assertion for all work done through this wg.  It is striking that there seems to be so little awareness of the difference between this and any kind of established IETF practice, or how nuanced downsides of organizational change typically are.

I'm still ignorant, apparently, to how an organization-wide change has been imposed by a constraint in a charter in a single working group in a particular corner of the IETF.  Moreover, charters are supposed to set constraints, establish operating rules and requirements, etc.  And I disagree that there's little awareness of the difference, but I'm not understanding why it's so urgent or destructive.

That is, after 10 months, only if there have been a series of successful efforts will it be possible to make a valid statement about the wg and its charter.

Or, I suppose, there might be documentation of problems.  But since basic concerns are being ignored now, what will cause them to have more useful effect later?

Given the length of this thread, why do you think they're being ignored?  It seems to be getting plenty of discussion.

-MSK