Re: [Ietf-dkim] WG Action: Formed Mail Maintenance (mailmaint) / Commitment

--On Thursday, May 30, 2024 22:36 -0700 "Murray S. Kucherawy"
<superuser@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sun, May 26, 2024 at 5:10 PM John C Klensin
> <john-ietf@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> And, fwiw, I agree with that too but, since a non-trivial number of
>> people seem concerned about various scenarios and what precedents
>> and/or long-term damage they might stick us with, it seems to me
>> that a reasonable solution would be the one I proposed: Assume
>> that the current IESG, and particular Murray, have things under
>> control, that any actual risks about about the future, and modify
>> things only to the extent of explicitly planning to review the WG
>> and its charter when Murray (and possibly other IESG members) are
>> replaced.  With some fresh eyes and much of a year worth of
>> experience, we should be able to, at least, have a more
>> constructive and less paranoid discussion.
>>
>> For the present, that would let the WG get moving on matters of
>> substance under the current charter and without more fuss, which I
>> think is consistent with what both you and Rob have suggested.  If
>> we have to have more of this discussion, let's have it after we
>> have some experience.
>>
>> best,
>>    john
>>

>> --On Monday, May 27, 2024 00:15 +0100 Stephen Farrell
>> <stephen.farrell@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> > FWIW, I think Rob's take below matches mine. Trying this out
>> > to see if it works seems worth a shot and given chartering
>> > followed the usual process I see no reason to second-guess
>> > IETF consensus to form this WG with this charter.

> I'm quite astonished by the magnitude of the concern being
> addressed here, especially only after the proposal passed through
> the typical internal and external charter review periods.  As
> Stephen points out, this charter followed the usual process, and
> before that I sought input from a number of people who typically
> participate in this area.

In case it isn't clear and regardless of how I feel about the
concerns, I share your astonishment.  My proposal was just a
suggestion that might help us move forward and focus more on getting
work done, both in that WG or elsewhere.

> At any rate, yes, I'm happy to consider this a test or a process
> experiment.  If, after a few documents have been considered and
> either processed or rejected, the consensus appears to be that this
> idea is a failure, I would consider it my duty to spontaneously
> commence rechartering to remove the offending constraint.

I had assumed that, but thanks for confirming.

> A suggestion was made shortly after the concern was raised that I'm
> only just getting back to.  (I'll give credit where credit was due
> if this works.). Would this charter change alleviate the problem?
>
> OLD:
> • Prior to accepting any Standards Track document for
> development, there must be a commitment to implement the resulting
> proposed standard from at least two independent parties, as
> recorded on a related IETF mailing list.
>
> NEW #1:
> • Prior to accepting any Standards Track document for
> development, there must be an indication from at least two
> independent parties that they intend to implement the resulting
> proposed standard, as recorded on a related IETF mailing list.
>
> NEW #2:
> • Prior to accepting any Standards Track document for
> development, there must be an indication from at least two
> independent parties that they are interested in implementing the
> resulting proposed standard, as recorded on a related IETF mailing
> list.

>From my point of view and my understanding of the concerns expressed,
either would be an improvement, getting rid of the contentious
"commitment" in favor of intent or interest.  I just hope we do not
now need to spend time debating the difference between those
alternatives.

   john