Re: [Last-Call] Genart last call review of draft-ietf-emailcore-rfc5322bis-11

Hi Pete,

Thank you for answering my comments.

On Mon, 22 Apr 2024 at 03:37, Pete Resnick <resnick@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 21 Apr 2024, at 13:03, Thomas Fossati via Datatracker wrote:
> >
> > (234:23): error: This parser will truncate strings at %x00
> > (236:28): error: This parser will truncate strings at %x00
> > (238:25): error: This parser will truncate strings at %x00
> > parsing failed: 3 errors encountered
> >
> > I don't understand what the error message is trying to tell me
> > though.
>
> Looks to me like it is complaining about long lines once unwrapped.
> Nothing to fix here AFAICT.

Digging a bit deeper into bap [1], the "error" is raised when it hits
%d0 in the obs-* rules.  I am still failing to grok the reasoning.  This
seems like something that should be flagged to the Tools team.

[1] https://github.com/ietf-tools/bap/blob/bd3d29d7e968af9b70b1b4d61fc4f3a526350d2d/scanner.l#L280

> > It'd be good to state the reasons why this document updates 3864
> >
> > earlier than in §6.1. [1] recommends using the intro section for
> > that.
>
> Given that 3864 and 4021 are purely about IANA considerations, it
> seemed silly to call them out in the Abstract or Section 1 since they
> are not of technical import to the document.

OK

> > Any reason for using the .test TLD rather than .example? RFC2606
> >
> > says: ".test" is recommended for use in testing of current or new
> > DNS related code. ".example" is recommended for use in documentation
> > or as examples.
> >
> > [1] https://authors.ietf.org/required-content, Introduction
> > checklist
>
> Two reasons: First, we needed enough easily distinguishable example
> addresses and using only <foo>.example and example.<foo> seemed like
> it would be too easily confused visually. But second, we were having
> problems keeping the examples to 72 characters for the text versions
> of the document. Using .test seemed the safest way to address the
> problem given that 2606 reserves it.

OK

> Any downside you can see in using it?

Not really.