RE: How to judge what is the fair site for participation

The opposite direction for many people is the same challenge.

Ed/

From: ietf <ietf-bounces@xxxxxxxx> On Behalf Of Rob Sayre
Sent: Sunday, April 21, 2024 02:12
To: IETF discussion list <ietf@xxxxxxxx>; Benson Muite <benson_muite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: How to judge what is the fair site for participation

Benson Muite <benson_muite@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I don't go to these anymore, or even register online. You can just watch them on YouTube and skip the boring parts.

But, if no one went, I would have nothing to watch. So, I agree it's a problem.

For some measurements on things that I have personally flown:

- SFO to Hyderabad: SFO -> Dubai (16 hours), Dubai -> Hyderabad (4 hours)

- SFO to Singapore direct: 17 hours

- JFK to BKK (they don't have this one anymore): 16-17 hours, and the flight went around the world, meaning it flew east to BKK and the return flew east to JFK.

This is probably all slower now, because geopolitical situations can make it difficult to overfly some countries.

These trips are absolutely brutal, even if you fly in business. For a trip like that, it's pretty much a 2-week deal, so you can get your mind back after the jetlag. I think a lot of IETF people actually like planes and things, so it's not a giant pain. The issue is whether one can make the entire time productive. If someone from Australia flies to San Francisco, they can probably book a lot of meetings, even within their own company. Not so going the other way, so that's the issue. It's just a function of the density of Internet companies.

thanks,

Rob