[Last-Call] Genart last call review of draft-ietf-emailcore-rfc5322bis-11

Reviewer: Thomas Fossati
Review result: Ready with Issues

by the IESG for the IETF Chair.  Please treat these comments just
like any other last call comments.

<https://wiki.ietf.org/en/group/gen/GenArtFAQ>.

Document: draft-ietf-emailcore-rfc5322bis-11
Reviewer: Thomas Fossati
Review Date: 2024-04-21
IETF LC End Date: 2024-04-29
IESG Telechat date: Not scheduled for a telechat

The document is clear and the changes from 5322 are fairly small-scale.

There are some small changes to 5322's ABNF which look syntactically OK
to me.  However, running the ABNF checker on
draft-ietf-emailcore-rfc5322bis-11.txt returns:

* (234:23): error: This parser will truncate strings at %x00
* (236:28): error: This parser will truncate strings at %x00
* (238:25): error: This parser will truncate strings at %x00
* parsing failed: 3 errors encountered

I don't understand what the error message is trying to tell me though.

Re: IANA Considerations.  There are changes in the registry schema and
the registration template to add the trace indicator.  The instructions
are clear.

Major issues:

None

Minor issues:

1. It'd be good to state the reasons why this document updates 3864
earlier than in §6.1.  [1] recommends using the intro section for that.

2. Any reason for using the .test TLD rather than .example?  RFC2606
says: ".test" is recommended for use in testing of current or new DNS
related code. ".example" is recommended for use in documentation or as
examples.

[1] https://authors.ietf.org/required-content, Introduction checklist

Nits/editorial comments:

In §1.2.3:

OLD:
  One reason for this latter requirement is that there are
  long-established sites on the Internet with mail archives that go back
  decades, archives with messages containing these elements.

NEW:
  One reason for this latter requirement is that long-established
  Internet sites have mail archives dating back decades with messages
  containing these elements.

In §3.6.4:

OLD:
  Though listed as optional in the table (Table 1) in section 3.6

NEW:
  Though listed as optional in Table 1 of Section 3.6