Re: How IETF treats contributors

Hadmut,

you made a complaint about the SPF draft to the IESG just prior to the March IETF meting in Korea.

I'd like to reproduce the answer I sent you at that time here:

Dear Hadmut:

Thank you for your inquiry.  Obviously, there is nothing that the IETF
can do regarding the many activities that you mention as occurring
outside the IETF process (e.g., the SPF list, the various newspaper
articles, etc.)

With respect to your complaint regarding draft-mengwong-spr-00.txt (the
"SPF I-D") I would like to refer you to RFC 3667 "IETF Rights in
Contributions", which updates the relevant sections of RFC 2026 regarding
contributions to the IETF standards process - this document lists the
various kinds of IPR that were deemed to be relevant to the IETF process.

Under Section 3.4.a of RFC 3667, each contributor of an IETF document
represents that: "The Contribution properly acknowledges all major
Contributors.  A major Contributor is any person who has materially or
substantially contributed to the IETF Contribution."  In addition, under
Section 3.4.c, the Contributor represents that he has the full right to
grant IETF a license under the copyrights in the Contribution. This seems
to be the part of IETF procedure relevant to your complaint.

If you believe that the SPF I-D infringes your copyrights or that you
should be listed as an author of the SPF I-D, you should follow the
procedures for conflict resolution described in Section 6.5 of RFC 2026.
I suggest that when you submit your request, you identify the particular
sections of the SPF-ID that you believe are infringing on your
copyrights, together with the sections of your original publications that
you believe have been infringed. If you believe that you have not been
properly acknowledged for your contribution to the SPF work, please
provide details of what acknowledgement you would deem correct and
adequate.

You may choose to discuss this further with the relevant AD for the MARID
BOF (Steve Bellovin), or to send directly to the IESG.

While the IETF is not a court of law, our processes are intended to
facilitate the fair and equitable resolution of disputes within the IETF
standards process. We need to facilitate the open exchange of ideas - but
we need to make sure are being treated fairly in the process, or the
exchange of ideas will eventually stop.

Thank you for bringing this issue to our attention.

Harald Alvestrand, IETF Chair

I have not seen a reply from you to the IESG, so I do not know what has happened since that time.

                          Harald