Re: IAB Statement on Encryption and Mandatory Client-side Scanning of Content

Hi Paul,
At 10:33 AM 19-12-2023, Paul Wouters wrote:
And on top of that, the PGP lawsuit in the US in the 90's already showed that opensource code is the equivalent of free speech, so making opensource illegal constitutes making freedom of speech illegal.

I am unfortunately not in the United States or else I might have made the above argument.

Additionally, since people in other countries can legally write such modified opensource software, you would additionally need to ban all software (opensource or not) that doesn't have the backdoor/government reporting/filtering code. How would endusers even know this ? Eg they download chrome or Firefox and now they are a criminal ?

There is some crypto at my location which most likely has a defect. I may write about it in future if I am free to do so.

If I understood what you wrote correctly, the point is that the software could be retrieved from other jurisdictions as it is easily available. Is there anyone from the IETF who would volunteer to testify in a criminal case about that?

Saying you approve of banning opensource is at best an unwise recommendation. And if one believes the IAB shouldn't make statements touching politics, I guess this counter statement fulfills all the same checkboxes for being inappropriate coming from our community ? It's a ?.. paradox ?

Many years ago, a person visited a location which is south of the Equator. The person introduced himself/herself as a member of an IETF working group and argued that the IETF was a threat. Would such a statement be considered as inappropriate? For what it is worth, I politely provided some input on the matter as I was in the room.

Last year, someone asked me a question about some censorship. I replied that it was quite regrettable.

As a comment about recommendations, there is a directive to do some Internet filtering at my location. Could an Area Director write to a government on that matter? :-)

Regards,
S. Moonesamy