Re: [Last-Call] Artart last call review of draft-ietf-lamps-e2e-mail-guidance-14

On Wed 2024-02-21 09:05:45 -0800, Bron Gondwana via Datatracker wrote:
> It's very well written, and does and excellent job of calling out future work
> and laying out the complete problem space.  In that way I think it's a very
> valuable document, and as an informative document it should be published.

Thank you for the kind words!  I know that all of the authors hope that
a document like this would be helpful for MUA implementers who are
trying to get it right.

> I do have some concerns about the implementability (particularly, as already
> called out in another review, the "strip things which aren't secure enough when
> quoting for reply" which will likely make users feel there's something wrong
> with their client).

The easiest way to avoid that weird hiccup is to encrypt your reply --
and yeah, if the client can't encrypt a reply to encrypted mail, then
something is indeed wrong :)

> Will client authors refer to this document when designing things?
> Maybe.  It's better than not having anything.

100%.  If you (or anyone) has any recommendations for how to convince
MUA authors to consider this document, that would be great.

    --dkg