Re: [No-draft-expiry] [Alldispatch] Taking draft-thomson-gendispatch-no-expiry-03 forward

Joel,

On Fri, Jan 26, 2024, at 00:47, Joel Halpern wrote:

Lucas, what you describe is not the meaning most working groups assign to I-Ds.  There are some WGs that have agreed to work that way, but that does not justify changing the underlying structure.

Also, I believe we are all well aware that "expired" does not mean "gone and inaccessible".

That's a sweeping statement. I can recount many examples where different people inside and outside ask the same questions about what a draft expiry means. Because there is no way to signal any intent or reason, it falls to people having to ask on lists etc. This wastes time.

It's trivial to publish new drafts but it's a waste of resources. It's also a waste of document reader's time to make them diff every I-D version to determine if there's substantial changes or it waste a pointless keepalive draft.

No individual occasion is a big deal. En masse it's death by a thousand cuts.

Cheers
Lucas

Yours,

Joel