Comments on draft-thomson-gendispatch-no-expiry-03

Hi Martin, Paul,

It is a bit odd to set a rule against citing expired Internet-Drafts when people do not follow the rule in practice. I would like to thank both of you for stepping forward to point that out.

Section 3.1 explains the rationale for the expiration of a draft. Nowadays, it takes a few years, or more, instead of less than 185 days, for a draft to reach Last-Call. Have you considered changing the six months to X years to align with existing practice?

If I had any problem, it would be about the IPR disclosure aspect or the divergence between an IETF I-D and an I-D in another Stream. Are such problems in scope for your draft?

The "work in progress" (Section 2.2) might be viewed as mislabelling when an I-D is abandonware. Having an expiry date is a way to get around that.

The proposal paves the way for what is known as "living standards". The idea of "living standards" originated from the WHATWG in 2011. That may work well when all the major vendors are on board.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy