Re: Comments on draft-thomson-gendispatch-no-expiry-03

On Thu, Jan 25, 2024, at 10:06, S Moonesamy wrote:
> Section 3.1 explains the rationale for the expiration of a
> draft.  Nowadays, it takes a few years, or more, instead of less than
> 185 days, for a draft to reach Last-Call.  Have you considered
> changing the six months to X years to align with existing practice?

I think that any insistence that a draft expire is silly, no matter the time scale.  I don't think that there is any single value that works for all cases.  (I understand why people think a hold-down timer is useful, but I simply disagree.)

> If I had any problem, it would be about the IPR disclosure aspect or
> the divergence between an IETF I-D and an I-D in another Stream.  Are
> such problems in scope for your draft?

The whole mess we have when it comes to drafts in different streams isn't one we planned to address.

> The "work in progress" (Section 2.2) might be viewed as mislabelling
> when an I-D is abandonware.  Having an expiry date is a way to get around that.

I get that.  But I also think that our insistence on the "work in progress" label isn't that helpful either.

> The proposal paves the way for what is known as "living
> standards".  The idea of "living standards" originated from the
> WHATWG in 2011.  That may work well when all the major vendors are on board.

I have some sympathy for the living standards approach, but I don't know how to address some of the inherent problems.  Problems that their proponents staunchly ignore, by the way.  That said, I think that RFCs, which sit at almost the extreme opposite end of the spectrum, have worse problems.  So you might say I'm conflicted on the subject.

I can't agree that this is about paving the way to a living standards approach though.