Re: [No-draft-expiry] Taking draft-thomson-gendispatch-no-expiry-03 forward

Title: Re: [No-draft-expiry] Taking draft-thomson-gendispatch-no-expiry-03 forward

Hi Lars,

While the draft is much improved, I still have one major and one minor issue that I think should be addressed before considering publication.

I will start with the minor issue: changing the language from expired to inactive is not helpful, and defeats the purpose of the notion of a "draft".  The plain English definitions of "draft" and  "expired" accurately reflect a draft's proper use: as something that is not finished and is intended to be temporary.  "Expired" implies that the draft should no longer be considered fit for purpose, just as an expired driver's license indicates that it is no longer valid for permission to be on the road.  I wouldn't suggest gumming up the works were this the only point, but it's not.

While it is understandable that expiration of certain drafts should at least be delayed, as is already the case with works that have entered the RFC publication queue, not expiring works that have no clear value in our own processes creates incentives for abuse and misuse.  Furthermore, the justification that we should do this to permit reference by IANA can lead to interoperability problems.  I have previously detailed both on the no-draft-expiry mailing list, and will do so here for the benefit of others:

Again, I can see value in extending the life of a draft in which our community has expressed interest.  But even that lifetime should be limited to the community's interest since these drafts exist for the purpose of us completing our work.

There are some things that might remedy my concerns:

  1. Require that someone in our circle– not just an author – take responsibility for a draft not expiring.  A WG/RG chair would be a good example.  In this case, the draft can be extended to no longer than the interest in the WG/RG's interest in that work or that group's lifetime, whichever comes first.  This provides a clear signal as to our community's interest in the work.

  2. Lock a draft if it has become inactive for some period of time so that it can never be updated.  That reduces any confusion that occurs with regard to IANA allocations, at least.  This still won't solve the potential abuse problem, but at least it will ameliorate the interoperability risks, and a better solution would be to not accept drafts in IANA registrations except as early allocations.

  3. Identify the work as a draft in a MUCH MUCH louder way than just boilerplate, that the work is not suitable for broad implementation.  Blinky watermark text with repeating sounds and animated gifs of explosions might only be a LITTLE over the top.  This might reduce the abuse risk, but I don't think it will help with interoperability.

So... Acceptable = (1)|((2)&(3)).  There may be other paths as well, but more discussion is needed.

Eliot