Re: Taking draft-thomson-gendispatch-no-expiry-03 forward

I still feel the general approach is insufficient and that more needs to be done to make it easier for people outside of given clique-headspaces to see what is actually worth spending time on.

To Stephen's wonder - yes, there will be a few places where updating the tooling to deal with the lack of an Expires header won't be trivial at the moment - idnits, in particular, may take more than a second to change, but the cost of that won't be huge. Breaking external things is an interesting question to ask. I'm not aware of any external tools that will care, but we really don't know what we might break.

If this draft goes forward in its current form, I would like to see this changed:

   When a new
   version of a draft is published, it is immediately marked as
   "active", and all earlier versions of that draft are marked as
   "inactive".

Please remove ", and all earlier versions of that draft are marked as "inactive". "

Make this change throughout the document - speak of marking things as "active" and have inactive just be the consequence of not being active.

This is metadata that is associated with a thing that has versions. the thing is active or inactive, the versions are not. There is a most recent version.

If you need to say anything at all about earlier versions (and I don't think you need to), say something like

"To the extent possible, tooling should make it obvious that newer versions exist when looking at any previous version".

If you are trying to accommodate the current notions of the "draft repository" vs "draft archive" and feel like the draft needs to say something, please only say

"The tooling will make it straightforward to find the set of active drafts".

RjS