Re: [Last-Call] [Detnet] Genart last call review of draft-ietf-detnet-mpls-oam-13

From: Loa Andersson <loa@xxxxx>
Sent: 14 December 2023 05:02

Tom,

inline please

<snip>

> <tp>
> Once it waa G-ACH but not any more, it is G-ACh
>
> RFC5586 still uses G-ACH

According to RFC 5586:

ACH is Associated Channel Header

G-ACh is Generic Associated Channel

RFC 5586 does not use G-ACH, RFC 5586 consistently uses G-ACh.

I don't know id we ever used G-ACH, it would be Generic Associated
Channel Header, which could be a proper name, but would be a slight over
specification.

I'd ask Matthew and Stewart to check if I got this right :).

<tp>
Loa

Thank you for that .  I ws wrong about RFC5586.  I cannot now find what I was looking at yesterday .

The issue arose in the Abstract of detnet-mpls-oam

"   This document defines format and usage principles of the
   Deterministic Network (DetNet) service Associated Channel (ACH) over
   a DetNet network with the MPLS data plane."
and Greg has said he will fix that so I think that there is now no problem.  The I-D uses d-ACH elsewhere to refer to the Header and not the channel.

Tom petch

/Loa

> RFC7214 reorganised the IANA registres and gets the name right and may be the best reference.
>
> I am not sure where G-ACh first appeared but it was much dicussed in and around MPLS-TP, Loa might know or else Adrian.
>
> Tom Petch
>
> Sent via a website that trashes what used to be e-mails rendering work a stressful challenge
>

> Thanks.
>

> Nits:
>
> Section 1: s/of active and hybrid, as defined in [RFC7799], OAM methods./
>              /of active and hybrid OAM methods, as defined in [RFC7799]./
> GIM>> Thank you, done.
>
> Thanks.
>

> Section 2.1: Some terms have a hyphen between the term and the definition.
> Others do not.  Please use some separator in all cases.
>
> Figure 3: s/DetNet Associated Channel Header/d-ACH/
> GIM>> Done
>
> Thanks.
>

> Section 4.1: I cannot parse this sentence:
>
>     The manipulation makes the
>     identification of the TSN Stream in the intermittent TSN nodes avoids
>     the need to look for the S-Label afterward.
>
> Please reword.
> GIMM>> Thank you for raising up this. Please consider the following update:
> OLD TEXT:
>     The first component identifies the DetNet flow (using Clause 6.8 of
>     [IEEE.802.1CBdb]) and the second component creates” the TSN Stream
>     via manipulation of the Ethernet header.  The manipulation makes the
>     identification of the TSN Stream in the intermittent TSN nodes avoids
>     the need to look for the S-Label afterward.
> NEW TEXT:
>     The first component identifies the DetNet flow (using Clause 6.8 of
>     [IEEE.802.1CBdb]), and the second component creates the TSN Stream by
>     manipulating the Ethernet header.  That manipulation simplifies the
>     identification of the TSN Stream in the intermediate TSN nodes by
>     avoiding the need for them to look outside of the Ethernet header.
>
> That works for me.
>
> Russ

Loa Andersson                        email: loa@xxxxx
Senior MPLS Expert                          loa.pi.nu@xxxxxxxxx
Bronze Dragon Consulting             phone: +46 739 81 21 64