RE: Question about use of RSVP in Production Networks

Dean,

Just limiting my reply to one point:

>That relegates RSVP to the enterprise Lan, where it usually isn't
needed.
>Remember, RSVP is only useful if you have a congestion problem and
need to
>choose which packets to discard.  If you have no congestion problem,
then
>you have no need of RSVP. However, having a congestion problem also
opens
>the question of the nature of the congestion and what is the best way
>deal that problem.  I was involved in a study done by Genuity and
Cisco in
>which the congestion problem was found to most often involve the tail
>circuit--the link between the customer and the ISP.  The best solution
for
>this problem was found to be low latency queuing, not RSVP.

Adding VOIP to an enterprise LAN can often add to congestion. Some on-path signaling can help here - not to mention NAT & FW traversal issues.  RSVP doesn't solve these, but NSIS is looking into these issues.

John