Re: principal effect of the bot postings

> On Oct 15, 2023, at 2:18 PM, Carsten Bormann <cabo@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> So you don’t like the transparency the weekly summary messages (not “the bot postings”) create?

To the extent that such messages provide transparency, they do so through a very narrow aperture.   Of all of the positive or negative qualities that I could use to rank posters and quality of their contributions, I’d rank number of posts as one of the least meaningful.   But I really don’t think that transparency is the goal of these bot posts, but something closer to public shaming.

(Of course it’s easier to count the number of posts rather than estimate, say, the quality or relevance of such posts.  So I see these bot posts as yet another example of the (IMO unfortunate) trend (not only in IETF) of favoring the quantities that are easier to measure over the quantities that are most meaningful.)

But different people may have different ideas of what the IETF list should be used for.  I’m used to thinking of the list as existing to support an extended conversation about a variety of topics related to IETF and the Internet in general.  But some may not want it to be a conversation, but rather something closer to a place to post announcements of general interest, without intending to start a discussion.  I understand that desire because we’re all dealing with information overload.  But I also believe that the conversation is extremely valuable for those who want to participate in it, and also for IETF.

Keith