Re: principal effect of the bot postings

On 2023-10-15, at 15:27, Keith Moore <moore@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> IMO the principal effect of the bot postings (I didn't say intent) is to discourage list participants from posting any message which takes up a non-centrist position, or a position on any controversial topic.

So you don’t like the transparency the weekly summary messages (not “the bot postings”) create?

> Because any time someone posts such a message, that person will be expected to reply to multiple responses to that message, to either defend their position, respond to objections, answer clarifying questions, etc.

Maybe not expected, but the original message will be less of a waste of time if it is clarified on request.

> IMO the IETF needs to be open to people with divergent views, and especially to people who raise legitimate concerns about IETF work that might nevertheless be unsettling to some.

Yes.

I have no idea how the transparency created by the weekly summary works against that.
Except maybe for authors that may already be self-conscious that they are misusing the channel by monopolizing the discussion without a good reason to do so.

Grüße, Carsten