Re: Proposal for Consolidating Parts of the ART & TSV Areas

Ted,

Agreed.  a comment inline below that only strengthens the case
you are making...

--On Tuesday, September 19, 2023 15:56 -0700 Ted Hardie
<ted.ietf@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Thanks, Brian and Tommy, for your thoughts on this.
>
> I think the critical point is "if the re-org is needed, delay
> is a bad idea".  Reading through the discussion past this
> point, I came to the conclusion that the reorg was at most an
> optimization; it shifts things around in ways that might or
> might not improve things.  I'm happy enough to see it tried,
> but I think the IETF can handle a delay in it.
>
> If we don't delay, the NomCom has both a last minute addition
> of an IETF chair along the attendant community consultations
> for the timing changes, plus changes to the scope of multiple
> other areas:
>
> ART gets smaller
> TWA comes into being
> OPS takes two  groups
> SEC takes two  groups
> INT takes one
>
> There's a hope in all of this that combining transport with web
> applications will make the historic difficulties in finding
> transport ADs easier, but even with the OPS/NM type split,
> there's no evidence yet to support that hope.  It could well
> be that it gets harder, if the incoming ADs feel that they
> have to have at least some competence in each.  It also may
> get harder to find ART folks, since some of their work may now
> spread between ART and TWA.

Yes.  In addition, if the plan were implemented as described,
either the NomCom would need to promise to return Murray for
another term or we would end up with two inexperienced ADs in
the ART area (unless, of course, some previous ART or APPS AD
were to volunteer and be selected).    That, it seems to me
increased the lift for both the NomCom and the incoming Chair.

> Those changes are a big lift for a NomCom and it will also be
> a big lift for the incoming Chair, since the new incumbent
> will have to lead a group with substantially new internal
> dynamics.
>
> Separating these out seems prudent to me, and I don't see
> enough urgency in proposed changes to warrant yoking them
> together.

Agreed although I may also be more skeptical as to whether the
particular AET/TSV etc., reorganization is a good idea now or
later.

best,
   john