Re: Proposal for Consolidating Parts of the ART & TSV Areas

On 9/11/23 20:20, Toerless Eckert wrote:

On Sun, Sep 10, 2023 at 10:47:18PM -0400, Keith Moore wrote:

I don't like the idea of ADs delegating their responsibilities in general.
I was only thinking of a document-by-document basis. I've already seen more
than enough AD reviews deteriorate to directorate reviews recited by the responsible AD.
So, why should an AD not trust directorate members that have repeatedly shown to
provide good if not better reviews (on the specific topic) than the AD could do him/herself
to also drive the resolution of DISCUSS ? We also have chair delegates ;-)
The experience I had when I was AD was that when I asked directorate members to do reviews, the reviews came from a wide variety of perspectives.   And if I got multiple reviews for a document (which seemed only appropriate), the reviews, while sometimes providing valuable insight, did not either reduce my AD workload or reduce my need for expertise in that subject area.   It was more work to review the reviews than it was to review the document.   So, based on my experience, I am doubtful that "delegating" reviews really addresses the problems that people claim it should.  And I suspect it overall makes IESG reviews less consistent.

(Different areas may have different experiences of the effectiveness of directorate reviews.  I was an Applications AD, and applications is a very broad topic.)
I especially don't like that idea if ADs can use delegation to shift their
responsibilities to people for whom there are no remedies if they fail to
follow process or otherwise work against the community consensus or the
interests of the broader Internet community.
How would there not be the same remedies against such delegation activities.
It's of course possible to make remedies against such delegation activities, but they do not exist at present and would require IETF Consensus.   And IETF is already overly bureaucratic, and this would appear to make it worse.
Instead, it arguably becomes easier, because the AD as the administrative entity
is a first line of complaint, much easier to address than any redress against
an AD (which is a more convoluted process).
I don't think IETF management needs more ways to insulate decision-makers from complaint.  IMO IETF management is already too insulated, is far too able to violate the IETF Consensus rules that have been established for its operation.

Keith