Re: [Last-Call] Artart last call review of draft-ietf-calext-jscontact-07

On 2023-08-30, at 17:36, Robert Stepanek <rsto@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 30, 2023, at 5:11 PM, Daniel Migault wrote:
>> My concerns are whether a complete unambiguous specification regarding how to handle the display of the scripts is reasonably achievable in this WG.
>
> I want to reiterate that JSContact is a data format. Nowhere in the specification do we state how to display its contents.

The JSON excuse: “Here is a data format.  We are not going to specify what it means.”

A data format that doesn’t define what it means to put some data somewhere is not useful.

(Of course, the data format does not need to and should not specify details of the display.  But if the purpose of some data is to be displayed, and there is no guidance how to choose a representation for the data so that useful display becomes possible, the data format specification is not complete.)

> Other than the discussion around BiDi, we now consider the JSContact specs complete. I will publish new versions tomorrow.

I don’t think anybody expects you to fully cover the issues around BiDi in this revision of the specification.
Acknowledging that the detailed interactions of BiDi control with the composition assumed is “for further study”, is much better than acting as if you have it covered.

Grüße, Carsten