Re: The IETF's email mess [was: RE: Large messages to 6man list]

On Sun, 20 Aug 2023, Christian Huitema wrote:
REQUIRED?  Um, I think the Network Police are currently on summer vacation.

John, we would not need Internet-wide policing to enforce text only contributions to the IETF mailing lists. We would need some kind of processor to only forward messages if they are encoded in text/plain, or maybe to something more complicated and only forward the text/plain rendering of the contribution. And appropriate error messages going back to contributors of non-forwardable messages.

If our goal is to persuade the world that the IETF is a bunch of cranky old guys shouting GET YOUR HTML OFF MY LAWN as we decend into irrelevance, I could see doing that. Otherwise, not.

Sometime if you're in the office see if you can find people who work on Outlook and ask what their response would be. I'm pretty sure it would be some variety of "wow, that was stupid."

Regards,
John Levine, johnl@xxxxxxxxx, Taughannock Networks, Trumansburg NY