Re: Appeal: IESG Statement on Guidance on In-Person and Online Interim Meetings

On 8/16/23 08:43, Salz, Rich wrote:

The point I was trying to make, is that "we don't know" what the IETF community thinks about the general concept of never meeting at one of the regular meetings.  That's not an argument against CELLAR; I was trying to make an argument for community involvement in deciding what the principles and code, if you will, should be.

Concur.  We used to use regular physical space meetings, in part, to keep the community in some degree of sync as to overall goals, and to minimize the amount of cross-area conflict.   Those are still good things, but it's also possible that conditions have changed enough in the past few decades that a somewhat different strategy is needed.

What's abundantly clear is that IESG should not be making such decisions unilaterally.   IESG is, inherently and by its very nature, too short-term in its focus.  It's nowhere nearly representative of the whole community; actually it's been working hard to suppress parts of the community that it doesn't like, and for dubious reasons.   IESG does not have the authority to change IETF Consensus rules, and it very badly needs to be reined in.

Keith