Re: Appeal: IESG Statement on Guidance on In-Person and Online Interim Meetings

Hiya,

On 16/08/2023 18:04, Keith Moore wrote:

What's abundantly clear is that IESG should not be making such decisions unilaterally.   IESG is, inherently and by its very nature, too short-term in its focus.

That short-term thing is a problem for the IESG yes. (Due
to workload demands and the difficulty of engineering
change I think.)

It's nowhere nearly representative of the whole community; actually it's been working hard to suppress parts of the community that it doesn't like, and for dubious reasons.

FWIW, I don't think you're even near correct there, and your
in any case unconvincing claim is IMO badly damaged via the
pejoratives ("suppress", "dubious").

IESG does not have the authority to change IETF Consensus rules,

Yes.

and it very badly needs to be reined in.

No. IMO, the IESG actually need to try do the opposite to
that and propose (not impose) some radical changes in how
the IETF does its work. My guess is if they don't propose
something radical and soonish, then we (the community as
a whole) and events generally (e.g. climate change and
corporate policies) might well overtake 'em.

Cheers,
S.

PS: wrt the subject line, I've no problem with the IESG
dealing with changes to interim meeting guidance in a step
by step fashion, but it'd probably have been a good plan to
have said that's what was being done rather than just pop
out the revised statement without that context.