Re: more than back doors, Approaching the IETF - A View from Civil Society

On Mon, Jul 31, 2023 at 10:36 AM Keith Moore <moore@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 7/31/23 12:27, John R Levine wrote:
>
> > There is a lot more to this debate beyond putting back doors in crypto
> > systems, which we all agree is a bad idea.
>
> It's quite clear by some people's past actions that we do not all agree
> that this is a bad idea.   Some people just know better than to be
> caught advocating for what they know will be unpopular.

In all cynicism, it is not needed to build backdoors into crypto. All
you have to do is ensure that there are enough buggy cpus, operating
systems, and libraries exist that other means to get at the data can be
found. The market has succeeded in providing that attack surface, no
more effort is required.

--
Podcast: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxmoBr4cBKg
Dave Täht CSO, LibreQos