Re: Approaching the IETF - A View from Civil Society

John and others,

My apologies for not being able to follow this thread during the
week.  Two observations from someone with some claim to a social
science background:

* If a researcher starts to examine almost any standards body,
engineering design group, or scientific collaboration or study
with the assumption that people without the requisite
educational or experiential background should be able to walk in
the virtual door and fully participate as peers with those who
have such a background, bad results are almost certain to
follow.  If that starting assumption is strong enough, those bad
results will often include the conclusion that the body being
examined is being exclusionary or elitist.  Much the same
problem occurs when someone comes to a meeting conducted in a
language they don't understand and where the subject matter of
the meeting is sufficiently specialized that conventional
translation and translators don't work well even if they are
available.  At least in some countries, jokes and comments about
whether some topic or task is about rocket science, or requires
the skills of rockets scientists often stem from the same
problem.

This type of research, carried out on that style, may also be a
faint echo of the times when European and US-based
anthropologists did work in indigenous societies in various
parts of the world with the assumptions of inherent superiority
of European cultures and backwardness of those indigenous ones.
That analogy, IMO, should not be pushed too hard but, as I said,
echoes.

Of course, none of that proves that participants in the
standards (or other body) are not being exclusionary or that
they have the right to treat the researcher badly.  We need to
understand that the problem is complicated and the researcher(s)
need to understand that, if we spent as much time and energy as
needed to bring them up to speed on the conversations to the
point that they can understand them and participate usefully, it
is likely that no actual work work get done.

When those understandings do not exist (or are resisted) what
follows, no matter how presented, often ends up much closer to
polemics and name-calling than meaningful research.

* As John Levine more or less pointed out below, getting
encryption right means finding mutual understandings and
understanding what will inevitably be a somewhat delicate
balance.  While, like him, I see the advantages of encryption as
greater than the disadvantages, it seems to me that it is very
much in our interests --and very much in the interest of
preserving access to encryption-- if we recognize that there are
tradeoffs and help people understand them, we are all likely to
be better off in the long term than if we work ourselves into
"encryption good; anyone who questions that is inherently evil
or stupid" positions like a sister organization of ours seems to
be doing.

best,
  john

--On Wednesday, 26 July, 2023 16:45 -0700 John Levine