Re: [117attendees] Making meeting attendance more affordable

--On Thursday, 27 July, 2023 06:41 +0000 "Salz, Rich"
<rsalz=40akamai.com@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> At the plenary this evening there were many comments from the
> IETF leadership that they welcomed ideas on how to be more
> inclusive and diverse.  Here's four focusing on meeting
> attendance. They are rough ideas and need a great deal more
> development.
>
> When having a meeting, try to get a low-cost housing option as
> well. Perhaps with limited capacity. Colleges often rent dorms
> out, or perhaps reserve an entire hostel – that kind of
> price scale.
>
> Discounted registration for a first-time attendee. Perhaps in
> coordination with a longer-term IETFer doing a "bring a
> newcomer" or some such. This might have short-term cost
> (although maybe not since they wouldn't attend), but fund
> the newcomer out of the D&I funding.
>
> Spend time and effort working to resurrect the "local hub"
> concept from a half-decade ago. Help them set up "viewing
> parties" that happen during IETF meetings.
>
> Make one of the meetings decentralized. Held simultaneously in
> multiple places around the globe. Getting the logistics and
> timezones equitable will be hard, but it would also greatly
> reduce our CO2 usage.

Rich,

With one exception, I think all of these ideas are worthwhile
and should be developed further.  The exception is discounted
fees for people in particular categories.  Drawing on later
notes, it doesn't make any difference what those categories are:
first-time attendees, second-time attendees, WG Chairs, document
authors, note takers, participants who go to the microphone,
participants who don't go to the microphone, people who wear
exciting hats or shirts, nomcom members or volunteers, people
who think summer meetings in Phoenix and winter ones in
Minneapolis are a great idea (along that dimension, Texas and
Chicago may be for wimps :-)), and so on.

I'm especially concerned about first-timers who are more or less
local to the meeting.  My informal and anecdotal observations
over the years suggest that, while a few of them might become
active contributors (especially if we meet repeatedly in same
location), many are effectively tourists, interested in seeing
how the IETF works or claiming they have attended at least one
of our meetings, but unlikely to contribute to that meeting and
unlikely to return.  The group who have participated and
contributed remotely and are showing up for their first f2f
meeting because it is conveniently located are a different
matter, but they take us into hair-splitting about what
constitute "first time" and/or "newcomer".   Collecting
registration fees from tourists (or their organizations0 who can
pay is fine -- it contributes to the LLC's bottom line and we
should not discourage that.  On the other hand, if circumstances
justify a fee waiver, that is what those waivers are for.

As others have pointed out about some of them, we really do not
people to volunteer for those roles in order to save a few
dollars.  More important, there is that fee waiver system.  We
might need to publicize it more to encourage people who need it
to ask.  But creating categorizes of participants who get
subsidized does not seem to me to be in our best interest.

   john

As others have pointed out, we do have