Re: QR Code data transfer protocol?

QR codes do themselves "only" carry bits. There are a number of different encoding mechanisms for data in a QR code, and because of this, I had for efficiency reasons to come up with a BASE-45 encoding to be able to carry binary data in a QR code in the variant that can carry up to 45 different letters (for the covid vaccine passport QR code).

See https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/rfc9285/

There is some more details in that RFC on the various encodings a QR code can carry as part of the reasoning behind Base-45.

paf