Re: AD review delays

Warren - I think the time starts clicking from #5 only ...

5: the time from consensus is declared until it is sent to the IESG?

No ?

Thx,
R.

On Wed, Jun 21, 2023 at 3:26 PM Warren Kumari <warren@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Wed, Jun 21, 2023 at 4:33 AM, tom petch <daedulus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 19/06/2023 17:47, Daniel Migault wrote:

I tend to think it is not so much the number of days or months as long as there is a common understanding of that delay. If one estimates X, the other part estimates Y as long as X differs from Y it is likely to generate frustration - chances for X to match Y are likely slim. On the other hand being simply informed it is going to take Z, even Z being greater than X, this is likely to be fine.
While the context of this thread is the delay from AD, this can be easily generalized in my opinion to most of the IETF process.

Generalising to everything a customer expects, a dictum of marketing is that a customer is dissatisfied when reality does not match their expectations so change their expectations. I do not know what drove the start of the thread but dissatisfied customers could be one such in which case the aim of the thread could be to reset expectations.

My expectations are based on several decades of involvement in the process with its ups and downs. The problem used to be the length of time from IESG approval to the publication of the RFC and that has been fixed - I do not know how but it has AFAICT. Perhaps that has now put a spotlight on another part of the process.

For me, though, it is the delays in the WG post adoption of an I-D that are the greatest disappointment, and that could be a reflection on the time an AD has to affect that.

Erm, could you elaborate on the above? Are you meaning:
1: the time after a WG formally adopts a document until the draft-ietf-wg-foo-bar-00 comes out?
2: the time from when a WG adopts a document until it enters WGLC?
3: the time from when a WG adopts a document until it leaves WGLC?
4: the time from entering WGLC until consensus is declared?
5: the time from consensus is declared until it is sent to the IESG?
6: something else?
7: all of the above?

Many of these times are (largely) outside the ADs control (other than choosing more active chairs, cajoling the WG, stomping their feet, contributing text, etc).

Tom Petch

Yours,
Daniel