Re: AD review delays

--On Tuesday, June 20, 2023 20:16 +0200 Robert Raszuk
<robert@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In regards to AD's reviews is there some expectation that AD
> is a subject matter expert in the Area(s) he or she is
> controlling/overlooking ?

At least for the first three decades or more of the IETF's
existence, that was precisely the assumption.  There have always
been some edge case topic areas in which IETF expertise,
including AD expertise, has been a little sparse but, in
general, yes.   "Subject matter expert" does not imply that the
ADs are expected to be omniscient: if either they or IETF
participants think they are, that is a whole different problem.
If and when we reach the point where that is not true, there are
many things in our procedures for reviewing and approving
documents that should be reevaluated.

You may want to have a look at a discussion now occurring on the
rswg list that bears on a different aspect of the question.

> And what happens if that assumption is not correct ?

We either make some very fundamental changes to how we do things
-- changes that assume that ADs are just administrators and
judges of procedures -- or the concept of "IETF Consensus"
becomes essentially meaningless are a mark of broadly understood
and accepted technical validity.

And, btw, the worst possible case would be ADs who are not
subject matter experts but think they are.

best,
   john