Re: How do we feel about conferences scraping addresses from the IETF?

On Tue 06/Jun/2023 10:40:42 +0200 Jay Daley wrote:
On 6 Jun 2023, at 08:00, Alessandro Vesely <vesely@xxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon 05/Jun/2023 20:29:44 +0200 Jay Daley wrote:

The publication of email addresses of participants is a core part of our policy of transparency and clearly set out in our Privacy Statement https://www.ietf.org/privacy-statement/

That document doesn't say much about email addresses.  It just says they're part of Personal Data.

Quoting directly:

"The IETF/IRTF/IAB operates in an open and transparent fashion. As a part of this transparency, any contributions, submissions, statements or communications that you make to any Party including any Personal Data, other than as expressly excepted in this statement, will be made public through electronic and other means."

It then lists the Personal Data, which will be "made public through electronic and other means." and that includes email addresses.

You're right, sorry for having been shallow.

Curiously the statement makes an exception for IP address but not for email address. Probably it assumes that people logs in using the same email address they publish rather than a different, "technical" one. Quoting:

    Technical data will be collected in our web server logs such as, operating
    system, browser version, and IP address. We do not make such information
    available to the public.

Best
Ale