Re: Next steps towards a net zero IETF

That's a pretty interesting note, and one which I think deserves a proper discussion. Considering how much more energy use is going towards the internet everyday, I do believe IETF plays a crucial role in increasing the efficiency (energy wise) of the internet.

For instance, by moving towards HTTP/3, if we reduce the RTT to establish a connection, that's less CPU time spent on establishing the connection, less electromagnetic radiation (fiber optics / wireless) required, since now x less packets need to be transmitted etc.

I do think using available funds for further advancing the goals of IETF directly would be a better use - you could argue that IETF is producing carbon offsets as a direct consequence of its work!

I am not sure if IETF's contribution would be measurable, but here is a study done on energy efficiency of programming languages which is an interesting read: https://haslab.github.io/SAFER/scp21.pdf

Regards,

Raghu