Re: [Trustees] [Tools-discuss] Change to wiki content licensing

--On Wednesday, February 15, 2023 21:45 -0500 John Levine
<johnl@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> It appears that John C Klensin  <john-ietf@xxxxxxx> said:
>> Glenn,
>>
>> It helps and thanks.  As I tried to say in my note,
>> rationalizing things and making them consistent is clearly
>> reasonable and appropriate.  But the key issue I raised, which
>> your explanation does not address, is the invocation of the
>> Note Well rather than either the underlying documents or a
>> specific Trust policy on the subject.
>
> When you submit an I-D, the submission page only has a link to
> the Note Well, and to BCP 78. Presumably that's adequate,
> because if it isn't, we have way worse problems than what's in
> the wiki.

IANAL, but I personally think it is adequate because that link
is in a "go read this" note as mentioned earlier (specifically,
"...review the information in the Note Well...").  That is very
different from the sort of "these are the rules" statement to
which I thought Jay was pointing.  Glenn's note clarified things
quite a bit; at this stage I'm happy to crawl back into my cave
and let the Trustees sort things out.

> I am scratching my head trying to figure out why we can't
> assume that whoever puts notices on the wiki has enough sense
> to put something sufficient there.

There is that.

best,
   john