Re: [Trustees] [Tools-discuss] Change to wiki content licensing

Hi John,

It’s less about change any policy or about removing CC by 4.0 and is about making sure we’re following the rules the IETF has selected for its content, and being consistent when doing so.

Currently, the Wiki is not consistent since it is calling out both CC by 4.0 and Note Well as applying.

The Wiki is showing both on the footer of pages as boiler plate:

         Content is available under the Creative Commons Attribution License, by IETF Trust (CC BY 4.0). All content is covered by the IETF Note Well. | Powered by Wiki.js

And in the basic info on the wiki:

Welcome to the IETF Community Wiki

This is a community wiki for IETF participants to use. It replaces the previous structure of trac wikis where each working group/team had its own trac instance.

The IETF Note Well applies to all content on this wiki, and it is referenced on every page.

CC by 4.0 is being blanket applied to all pages, and also citing Note Well which in turn pulls in BCP 78 and BCP 79 which in turn pull in RFC 5378 and its rules for IETF Contributions etc.

It may be that the key issue is that the Wiki should not blanket apply CC by 4.0 to all content and that individual pages need different rules.

What license applies to what content?

-----

If you look at the IETF Trust’s cheat sheet on licenses (https://trustee.ietf.org/assets/the-ietf-trusts-copyrights-and-licenses/).    You’ll see that CC by 4.0 is correct for use on general information, but not for IETF Contributions.

Content created to help with meetings, room booking, instructions to Chairs etc, is all fine with CC by 4.0.

However, working group content – aka stuff that’s IETF Contributions to the standards making process and should not by CC by 4.0 – is also in the wiki. See : https://wiki.ietf.org/en/group/mops/rfc9317-additional-resources

You may note in this second page citation, that the IETF Trust boilerplate on copyright also appears in the text.  That’s correct btw for the type of content, but it’s in conflict with the CC by 4.0 on the page bottom.

Does additional background help?

So not so much as policy change, but more of a making sure the IETF is following the rules is has established for its different kinds of content.

Regards

Glenn