Re: universal friction, was Outsourcing

On 1/1/2023 7:11 PM, John R Levine wrote:
The exception to that in my current code is that there is one message, a
contact request message that is authorized by default. So, if I have your
contact address (john@xxxxxxxxxxx, @john_levine, whatever) and I don't
already have you in my contacts, the first message I send, is a contact
exchange request saying 'Hi I am PHB, can I send you messages'.

The introduction problem is very hard.  Speaking as a spammer, I plan to buy lists of millions of addresses (which are widely and cheaply available) and send introduction requests to all of them.  If they don't say yes, I'll do it over and over, maybe with slightly different identities and requests, and we've just moved the spam into the introductions.  The only way I know of to prevent that is to add friction to limit the number of requests you can send, but now you have to figure out how to tell that requests from many different addresses go into the same friction bucket because they are from the same sender, for some version of "same".

Yes indeed. If the system cam say "Joe Example wants to connect with you", it can also say "Joe Example who has access to a pharmacy selling cheap and exciting meds wants to connect to you". I saw exactly that kind of scenario playing out on Skype. And then we also see the "attack of the clones" on Facebook, "Your buddy Joe Example, same name, same picture, wants to be your friend." Etc., etc.

-- Christian Huitema