Re: universal service, was Outsourcing

--On Sunday, January 1, 2023 21:57 -0500 John R Levine
<johnl@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sun, 1 Jan 2023, John C Klensin wrote:
>>> It's *always* been possible to lie about who you are when
>>> making a phone call, but for the first century or so nobody
>>> cared.  Whhat changed?
>>
>> Not quite, universally, always because, in the period prior to
>> dialed/ automatically switched calls, the operators who were
>> necessary to connect/ switch calls were often serving a
>> relatively small area and collection of subscribers and, from
>> discussions I've had about the period, authentication by voice
>> recognition worked at least moderately well.
>
> When my mother was in college in Massachusetts in the 1940s,
> she'd
> call her parents in her small hometown in Vermont. The local
> operator,
> hearing her voice, would say "it's your mother's bridge night,
> shall I
> ring her at Mrs Smith's?"

Exactly.

> That was a level of service that we can only dream of now, but
> it doesn't scale very well.

Agreed.  But let me encourage a small thought experiment.   My
guess is that, with a little speech pattern analysis and maybe
some recording of calling and called number pairs, one could
build some databases and an AI-ish system today that would
manage a decent approximation to your mother's experience.
>From a technological standpoint, the scaling properties would
probably not be much worse than other things we see routinely
these days.   However, there would be at least two important
non-technical issues.  One is that doing such a thing at scale
would require a fairly impressive business model and I'm
guessing there isn't one, partially because of the second issue.
That other issue would involve the battle for who would get to
be first in line to scream "horrible, evil, unacceptable privacy
violation" at the very idea of a system/ database/ robot
operator knowing enough to know that it was someone's bridge
night, where they would be playing bridge, etc.

On the other hand, maybe that isn't a good example because, if
someone's mother today wanted to go out and play bridge but
still be contact-able, they could either take a mobile phone
with them (the likely solution) or, sticking to the PSTN, set up
temporary call forwarding.  Neither causes significant privacy
problems and neither involves technology that is not routine
today.  Both of those approaches require phone-number-per-person
rather than phone[-number-per-household which presumably would
have been the case in the 40s, but that is not a big deal today,
even for non-mobile phones.  The problem, on the other hand,
would take a selective step toward what PHB is asking for, which
is that, on bridge night, one might want calls forwarded from
only a pre-identified list of calling parties with the rest
going to voice mail.  Again, well within the technology given,
e.g., selective ring options, but maybe not worth the trouble.

> I doubt that operators in Boston
> or New York recognized the callers.

Probably not, but connected to a bit of research I've never
done.   If operators were per-exchange rather than for "Boston"
or "New York", recognition of at least some callers might have
been plausible.  And remember that the treatment your mother got
might or might not generalize to everyone in that Vermont town
and whomever might be calling them, even if they were calling
fairly regularly.

> Also remember that you
> don't have to fool the operator to fool the person you're
> calling.

Of course.

>> And, paralleling the above, not just "unlimited numbers of
>> messages for free", but the ability to send those messages
>> without the senders accurately identifying themselves and
>> creating the possibility of being held accountable if, in
>> fact, societies and legal systems consider spam to be
>> seriously bad.

> You need both.  People who know a lot more about the phone
> system
> than I do tell me that it is very hard to fake the number on
> SMS,
> so spammers just buy a lot of numbers from sleazy carriers and
> cycle through them.

And that, of course, is another thing that is different.  At
least in the US (and probably even more in some other places)
we've made it far easier for someone to go into the sleazy
carrier business than it was in the days when phone service
offerings were either a regulated monopoly or a government
enterprise.   While there are advantages of the present system
as well, that one brings us close to the Pogo Principle when we
start complaining about the current state of things.

best,
   john