Re: [Last-Call] Intdir last call review of draft-ietf-lpwan-schc-over-sigfox-17

Hello,

Thanks for your review.

We have published a new version (-18) of the draft.

Please find our responses to your comments below.

Please let us know anything.

Cheers,

Authors of the SCHC over Sigfox draft

> On Dec 19, 2022, at 10:41 AM, Jean-Michel Combes via Datatracker <noreply@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Reviewer: Jean-Michel Combes
> Review result: On the Right Track
>
> Hi,
>
> I am an assigned INT directorate reviewer for
> draft-ietf-lpwan-schc-over-sigfox. These comments were written primarily for
> the benefit of the Internet Area Directors. Document editors and shepherd(s)
> should treat these comments just like they would treat comments from any other
> IETF contributors and resolve them along with any other Last Call comments that
> have been received. For more details on the INT Directorate, see
> https://datatracker.ietf.org/group/intdir/about/
> <https://datatracker.ietf.org/group/intdir/about/>.
>
> Based on my review, if I was on the IESG I would ballot this document as
> DISCUSS.
>
> I have the following DISCUSS level issue:
> - Security considerations
> (1) RFC8724 says, in Section 12, "As explained in Section 5, SCHC is expected
> to be implemented on top of LPWAN technologies, which are expected to implement
> security measures." (2) The text in this document describes the implemented
> security measures (i.e., radio protocol security, firewall) Based on this,
> except if I miss something and/or some text is added about security mechanisms
> provided within Sigfox LPWAN, IMHO, the following text should be added at the
> end of the section: "The previously described security mechanisms don't
> guarantee an E2E security between the Device SCHC C/D + F/R and the Network
> SCHC C/D + F/R: potential security threats described in [RFC8724] are
> applicable to the profile specified in this document."
>
> Maybe, to check with the Security Area review/ADs.

We have added the text at the end of section 12.

> The following are other issues I found with this document that SHOULD be
> corrected before publication: -  3.5. SCHC Rules "For this reason, it is
> recommended to keep the number of rules that are defined for a specific device
> to the minimum possible." I am puzzled with this sentence ... I don't know how
> to understand it: is it just an advice? is it a strong recommendation (e.g.,
> RECOMMENDED)? If so, why not to set-up a maximum size? Maybe I missed something

We have modified the “recommended” to “RECOMMENDED” and added when not following is acceptable.

> The following are minor issues (typos, misspelling, minor text improvements)
> with the document: -  many locations s/Rule ID/RuleID -  3.1. Network
> Architecture "The Network SCHC C/D + F/R shares the same set of rules as the
> Dev SCHC C/D + F/R." s/the Dev/the Device -  4.1. Uplink No-ACK Examples "Last
> packet fragment is marked with the FCN = All-1 (1111)." "1111" in binary =>
> "15" in decimal So, why "31" in the figures 31 and 32?

Thanks, we have fixed the minor issues and fixed a couple more.