Re: [Last-Call] [standcore.com-standards] Re: [art] Artart last call review of draft-billon-expires-07

On 14/12/2022 03:21, Martin Thomson wrote:
On Wed, Dec 14, 2022, at 14:09, Keith Moore wrote:
I would prefer something closer to "Valid-Until".

I think that you are looking for "Best-Before".

Well, this thread reminded me of the confusion here, Europe, where food is given one of three classificatons to help consumers decide whether something is safe to eat, one of which is 'Best before'. Of the three, one is a safety warning, ignore the warning and this may harm or kill; the other two are cosmetic, it may not look or taste as good as it might. And I cannot remember which is which. Nor can others judging by the frequency with which articles appear explaining the difference.

Here, we have had 'Expires:' for decades, even if I have never seen it in an e-mail header, and that, for me, is an argument for keeping the word but spelling out its intended meaning, even if, especially if, UI designers might not be clear from reading a dictionary.

Many words have changed their meaning over 40 years and the current woke culture seems to have accelerated that process. So, keep the identifier but spell out its semantics.

Tom Petch

Jokes aside, I fail to see the relevant distinction you are making.  I found a definition thus:

Verb	1.	expire - lose validity; "My passports expired last month"

So it seems like "Expires" works nicely.  Or at least no worse than it does for HTTP caching (i.e., not very well, but we make do).