Re: [Last-Call] Last Call: BCP 83 PR-Action Against Dan Harkins

> Il 27/10/2022 00:15 CEST Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@xxxxxxxxx> ha scritto:
>
> On 26/10/2022 22:40, Keith Moore wrote:
> >
> > So while I understand and accept the argument that we shouldn't use
> > satire or sarcasm in IETF, I think it will take time for English
> > speakers who are accustomed to that convention, to learn to not respond
> > to such arguments in the conventional way.
>
> IMO the above is not correct. A tiny tiny proportion of
> IETF emails I've read (and I've read a lot) contain any
> satire or sarcasm. Almost everyone has learned to not do
> that already, years ago, without having to be told or get
> training, perhaps largely because it's utterly obvious.

I chose not to participate in this discussion but here I have to point out something.

I am one of those who routinely use satire, sarcasm, jokes, metaphors, emphasis and more rhetorical and linguistic devices to communicate, and this, in addition to being a way for expressing my own self, is actually considered a sign of good writing and arguing skills in my culture. I had to learn to self-censor myself at the IETF; and still, sometimes I just fail and people complain and I feel out of place and stop participating (e.g. see the alt-dns thread on DNSOP).

So, well, this is just one more of the IETF's exclusionary attitudes; possibly it is impossible not to have any, but let's not pretend that some social prohibitions (the ones the majority likes) are more justified than others.

--
Vittorio Bertola | Head of Policy & Innovation, Open-Xchange
vittorio.bertola@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx