Re: [Last-Call] Change of position: Last Call: BCP 83 PR-Action Against Dan Harkins

Interesting. Like Tim, I've reached the opposite conclusion.

Dan's behavior in this thread has made me far more confident in my position that the PR action should proceed. While there are numerous examples of Dan's messages I could cite from this thread alone that I think cross the line of professional behavior by a fairly incontrovertible margin, I find this one in particular to be egregious and well beyond excuse: https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/last-call/T5eI486VJVnaLxoq3rSDygHudhk/

I'm absolutely floored that Dan not only failed to see how his initial email implying that Lloyd should seek a professional medical opinion on whether Lloyd is suffering from dementia was vastly inappropriate, but that Dan went so far as to double down on his recommendation so as to compound the initial ad hominem attack.

In an ideal situation, we might rely on Dan to moderate his own behavior. But if Dan can't even see how these kinds of ad hominems are inappropriate, I'm not sure how we might have any hope of him stopping himself from committing them in the future.

/a

Hi,

I'd like to change my position on this. In a recent message, Dan acknowledges that using sarcasm or satire is problematic:
https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/last-call/-8qnygF1ywCc3nQAWg0jGCEtLdo/
To my mind, given that Dan has been a significant technical contributor over many years, that is really all the community can ask for. I don't think the IETF would gain anything at this point by applying a PR Action, and would possibly lose future significant technical contributions.

Regards
   Brian Carpenter