Re: "Deviating from specs"

Miles Fidelman <mfidelman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
    > It does lead me to wonder about how we got away from writing compliance
    > tests for everything.  And, a follow-up thought that, perhaps, a
    > compliance test might be a nice thing to add to RFCs (at least those
    > that proceed to standards) - with IETF or ISOC or maybe ICANN
    > maintaining a reference server to test against.

"We", the IETF never did this.
That's because it requires
   a) funding
   b) lawyers to deal with when implementations fail
   c) very smart people to do the work

Some IETF protocols have had industry fora form around them, and those
entities have sometimes done compliance testing.

    > I'm also reminded how nice the perl ecosystem is - cpan, regression
    > tests built into modules, that sort of thing.

Yes, but Perl Net::HTTP still doesn't know what RFCs it implements.

--
Michael Richardson <mcr+IETF@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Sandelman Software Works
 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-