Re: "Deviating from specs"

Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
An interesting analysis of RFC compliance for a big program:

https://daniel.haxx.se/blog/2022/10/18/deviating-from-specs/
A nice piece.

It does lead me to wonder about how we got away from writing compliance tests for everything.  And, a follow-up thought that, perhaps, a compliance test might be a nice thing to add to RFCs (at least those that proceed to standards) - with IETF or ISOC or maybe ICANN maintaining a reference server to test against.

I'm also reminded how nice the perl ecosystem is - cpan, regression tests built into modules, that sort of thing.

Miles Fidelman

In practice, there is.  .... Yogi Berra

Theory is when you know everything but nothing works.
Practice is when everything works but no one knows why.
In our lab, theory and practice are combined:
nothing works and no one knows why.  ... unknown