Re: Rants about conferencing (re: Re: Notification to list from IETF Moderators team)

Don't think in-person is the main issue.
Long time to produce RFC is IMHO big reason
Funding for topics relating to what can be done in IETF is also core reason

Aka: it is uncommon, but stsill well possible IMHO to participate as an
acedemic through email/conference-calls and produce RFC. You just need funding
and some IETF WG/team that works fast enough for an acaemics requirements.

Related to that, let me add that for an academic’s career it is much more useful to have a paper published in a top-ranking journal rather than having co-authored several RFCs.
Dura veritas, sed veritas…

Simon

_\\|//_
                              ( O-O )
     ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~o00~~(_)~~00o~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                    Simon Pietro Romano
              Universita' di Napoli Federico II
                     Computer Engineering Department
                   Phone: +39 081 7683823
                                          e-mail: spromano@xxxxxxxx

    <<Molti mi dicono che lo scoraggiamento è l'alibi degli
    idioti. Ci rifletto un istante; e mi scoraggio>>. Magritte.
                                    oooO
                                                                      (_/