Rants about conferencing (re: Re: Notification to list from IETF Moderators team)

Inline

On Thu, Oct 13, 2022 at 04:58:58PM -0400, Keith Moore wrote:
> For what it's worth, I personally find conference calls (with or without
> video) to be MUCH more stressful than email, and at least for me the
> potential for frustration and mis-interpretation seems greater with audio
> than without.   (I'm not claiming that everyone else has or should have the
> same experience.)  It's absolutely helpful to have tone of voice, facial
> expressions, and maybe even body language as input.

> But to me it seems
> like people tend to express themselves more precisely and carefully when
> typing, than they tend to do when speaking in real time.   There are also
> common problems with remote conferencing: poor audio quality, poor
> microphone quality, background noise; and artifacts from packet loss, jitter
> compensation, and poor CODECs causing what sounds like vocal stress).    I
> don't generally experience the same problems with in-person meetings that I
> do with remote audio/video meetings.

I do not accept positions that give up on getting the best possible audio
quality for conferencing. In fact, i think ew alreay see good examples where
conferences can be better than in-person meetings wrt. audio:

- Webex has transcription. That can be better/easier to read by non-native speakers
  than listening to fast speakers. If/when speech recognition gets even better,
  it might also help to understand bad, non-native speakers through transcription
- meetecho and others (webex etc) have speaker metadata, so i know much more easily
  who is speaking than our standard in-room experience.
- In room experiences can be worse than my own personal @home setup wrt audio
  and video quality.

Of course, email has a lot of benefit, such s being avble to get up for 30 minutes,
have a copy and refine your argument before finalizing it, but of course it has a lot
of downsides, so its too broad a problem to come up with easy comparisons.

I fully agree on the stress factor of conferences and live meetings, i think it is
worse for non-native and less experienced participants given the real-time requirements.

> >     I miss the days when IETF was often capable of having constructive
> >     technical discussions, even when some participants' frustration was
> >     evident, without the need for moderators or Tone Police.
> >

> > That was in the past because it was a smaller community, but if we plan
> > to expand we should change for best practices.
> As far as I can tell, active participation in IETF was substantially smaller
> in the last few pre-COVID years than it was in the late 1990s.    But I'm
> judging more from face to face meeting attendance figures than anything
> else.

+1 Key word here is "active" i think. Stable if not growing observer participation.

> I suspect one difference between "those days" and today is that IETF in the
> past had proportionally more representation from academics and less from
> employees of corporations, than we have today.   IETF has effectively
> filtered out a lot of non-corporate people (whether deliberately or
> accidentally) with its high cost of in-person participation.

Don't think in-person is the main issue.
Long time to produce RFC is IMHO big reason
Funding for topics relating to what can be done in IETF is also core reason

Aka: it is uncommon, but stsill well possible IMHO to participate as an
acedemic through email/conference-calls and produce RFC. You just need funding
and some IETF WG/team that works fast enough for an acaemics requirements.

> Another possible difference is that there is greater stress in societies
> today, more political polarization and conflict, more support for rigid
> authoritarianism, and this external stress is leaking into IETF.

Mostly constrained to discussion forums like ietf ML, not if you're working in a WG,
so luckily mostly irrelevant to work output IMHO.

Cheers
    Toerless

--
---