Re: [Last-Call] Question for the IESG

Hi John,
At 03:02 PM 06-10-2022, John C Klensin wrote:
I am asking because, while I think parts of it have been very
helpful and should be considered going forward, I am probably at
least as sick of the scale and tone of some of the discussion as
I infer at least some IESG members are. I also agree with those
who have suggested that parts of the discussion itself have been
at least as unpleasant, divisive, and disruptive than anything
Dan (or anyone else, at least anyone not in the leadership)
could manage on their own.   I'm trying to lay the foundation
for a way forward that is more closely focused on the rather
specific criteria that I understand (and have understood since
2003-2004) BCP 83 to be about.  Or, to put it differently to
allow asking if a PR-action against [removed] is the right decision
whether or not the IESG wrote the optimal description of why
action should be taken and why.

And, fwiw, if, for some of us including myself, endorsing the
PR-action will be taken as an endorsement of the current IESG
statement and the methods and reasons for getting to this point,
then it might feel that the endorsement/ approval is too
expensive in terms of, e.g., the precedents that might be set.

I am sure some will feel that moving in that direction would be
letting the IESG off the hook for some of what appears in the
description Lars circulated, but I believe that the IETF would
better off if we could treat that as a separate question,
perhaps even one that, for some community members reflecting on
some IESG members, should be discussed with the Nomcom.

I have read the various comments on the thread. The topics are, to put it mildly, quite controversial.

I looked up the definition of the word "censorship". The American Library Association defines the "censorship" as "the suppression of ideas and information that some individuals, groups, or government officials find objectionable or dangerous". It is the first time, if I am not mistaken, that a draft was removed from the I-D public repository. The removal is not compliant with BCP 83.

BCP 83 is not listed in the "Note Well". That does not negate the fact that it is part of the IETF statute book. The criteria set in 2004 in that BCP is open to interpretation. There is a barrier to prevent misuse; the BCP requires an Area Director to make a judgement call. The BCP includes an avenue to anyone who wants to contest the "PR-action", i.e. the appeals process.

BCP 83 lists the following case: a participant has engaged in what amounts to a "denial-of-service" attack to disrupt the consensus-driven process. That is different from some of the points raised in the sub-threads (on this mailing list).

I am a bit curious about whether you will receive a reply to the question.

Regards,
S. Moonesamy