Re: [Last-Call] Last Call: BCP 83 PR-Action Against Dan Harkins

On 10/6/22 17:19, Bless, Roland (TM) wrote:

Sorry, I'm not a native speaker and to me lampooning is a kind of
humiliation. In order to help you understand the problem, let me
take Dan's line of argumentation and transfer it to another scenario:
guess how a disabled person, e.g., needing a wheelchair, feels if
someone claims that this person is just doing that in order to get
"privileges" like reserved parking lots or seats in the first row etc.?
Oh sure, and I've even made a similar mistake before.    Fortunately my friend with cystic fibrosis was patient and kind, and was able to simply explain to me that yes, sometimes she really did have trouble breathing and needed to use a handicapped parking space just so she could walk from her car to the door.  (Handicaps are not always obvious.)
Nevertheless, you should accept that there are obviously people in the
IETF community that interpret Dan's writing as being offensive or even
racist.
I do understand that.  But those are some pretty serious accusations to make out of a mere misunderstanding.   And when any person is accused of something as despised as racism, I suspect their normal reaction is to be defensive rather than to ask whether (and how) there might be some truth in it.
Ok, apparently we have quite different views on that, but as I already
wrote: as soon as there is feedback that Dan's messages are perceived
as being offensive (and this feedback has been given several times),
an adequate reaction should have been to stop writing these kind of
messages, but Dan deliberately continued to write teasing messages.

For me the question is whether there was sufficient explanation of which kinds of messages were causing the problem, and why.   It's not always obvious to everyone.

Most of the messages cited in the Last Call seemed fairly inoffensive to me, and for many of them I could not be sure I had identified what IESG were objecting to.

Keith