Re: STD series of documents

Folks,

This confusion about what STDs mean and what they might do for
us finally convinced me to turn an idea that has been kicked
around a few times into an I-D.  It is in the hands of the
posting queue and should, I assume, be announced today or
tomorrow.  Watch for an announcement for
draft-klensin-std-repurposing-00.txt or something like that.

High points...

	* STDs become a separate document series, independent of
	the underlying RFCs.

	* Their content is a function of IESG protocol actions
	or the equivalent, so that they define exactly what a
	particular standard "means" and what its content is at
	some point in time.  They are also a place to put
	comments and suggestions about usability and context to
	the extent to which the IETF wishes to make such
	statements.

	* They get activated at "Proposed", not "Internet
	Standard".

	* They contain explicit change history and tracking info.

It may not be right (and will need work even if it is), but the
document may at least help focus this, and some closely related,
discussions.

I expect discussion to occur on the Newtrk list.

    john