Re: [Last-Call] Last Call: BCP 83 PR-Action Against Dan Harkins

On 10/3/22 13:59, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:

I really can't see what is supposed to be implausible about the notion that nation states operate information engagement units. Spies spend their time spying and remarkably little of that is 'espionage'.

Throwing out spurious conspiracy theories to muddy the waters to conceal a real one is all part of the model.

When a large group of otherwise rational people start gibbering irrational conspiracy theories about alien lizard people, high ranking politicians harvesting adrenochrome, etc. etc. it is natural to ask where these ideas are coming from and why they are not being rejected as the obvious nonsense they are. The people promoting those theories are the exact same people promoting the white replacement theory garbage you have been peddling.

I am not talking about lizard people or anything of the sort.

I haven't tried to follow the references in PHB's email to see whether he's actually established a signal path.   But it's well known that several nation-states employ people to spread not only propaganda, but disinformation, and even conflicting disinformation with the goal of keeping an adversary's population confused and/or working at cross purposes with itself.  I've certainly seen trolls on FB and LI who were fairly transparently doing that.  So I can't dismiss PHB's statement out-of-hand.

(of course, just because some kind of information was spread by a state-supported troll doesn't mean it's wrong or entirely wrong.  every good lie is aided by adding a bit of truth.)

Keith